Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Reflections on Smartboards and iPads...

Today we were able to explore the various uses of Smartboards and iPads.  As part of today's activities, I was able to play with the Smartboard, which was really neat and interactive.  I'm a very hands-on person, so I really liked being able to interact with technology in a new way! 

The skill I wanted to learn most was how to move a screen down to reveal quiz questions one-by-one, much like my mentor teacher does when the students are taking reading quizzes.  I planned on asking her how to navigate the Smartboard to facilitate reading quizzes, but now I know how to.  Imagine that!  Now I'll be able to walk into the classroom with a new skill that I can use to help the students. :D

The other part of today's activities included creating a sample lesson plan utilizing Smartboard technology.  Our group's lesson plan included using an application called Popplet, which would allow students to create virtual concept maps on an iPad.  They can then mail these concept maps to themselves, their parents, or the teacher.  In our lesson plan, students were able to use concept mapping to provide reading logs in a new format, rather than traditional written logs.  This flexibility taps into multiple intelligences and allowing students to express themselves in different ways.

Because these kinds of lesson plans are what we're going to have to do for our final project, I've been a little nervous about going about them and how long they'll take to complete.  The NETS website makes it super-easy to find standards and it's a snap to create a lesson plan using technology.  I feel a lot better now about creating lesson plans for the final project... it seems much more manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment